Sunday, May 27, 2012

One Fierce Beer Coaster

 
If you were a pseudo-rebellious youth in the late 90's, like myself, there are probably certain things you remember.  Backwards ball caps; Actually Thinking Limp Bizkit was cool; Watching Beavis and Butt-head.  One of the most prolific things I recall from that era was "Fire Water Burn," by the Bloodhound Gang.  My introduction to this song was likely similar to that of many of you,  the censored radio version that used this amazing Donkey bray to cover the word 'motherfucker.'  It was such an entertaining edit that when I finally got my hands on the album I was almost disappointed by the unedited cut.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/BloodhoundGangOneFierceBeerCoaster.pngIn 1996 the Bloodhound Gang put out their sophomore effort, One Fierce Beer Coaster.  Despite being their second offering, this album was the one that saw Bloodhound Gang to widespread fame.  As mentioned above, "Fire Water Burn" became a pop culture phenomenon, but the album also produced the radio singles "I wish I was Queer So I Could Get Chicks" and "Why's Everybody Always Picking on Me?"  The Album also features a remake of Run DMCs "It's Tricky" and a collaboration track with Rob Van Winkle, better known as Vanilla Ice, called "Boom."


I am well aware that this album is 16 years old, and may have reached the entirety of its popularity at this point.  That being said, I love this album front to back.  It holds up to this day.  The songs are energetic, funny, and altogether enjoyable.  The Bloodhound Gang are really ahead of the game here mixing elements of Hip Hop, Punk, and even hints techno.  They were blurring the lines between genres before the practice became popular and common place.  I also would make an argument that they were early pioneers of the nerdcore subgenre, with songs about Mr. Rogers, Homer Simpson impressions and countless references to Star Trek, Mash, and other pop culture staples.

I cannot recommend this album strongly enough.  The offensive low esteem fueled lyrics teach a lesson that I have taken to heart, which is that if you accept that there are horrible things in this world, and learn how to laugh at them, you may just make it though this life in one piece.  To quote the group themselves, "There's no reason to live, but we like it that way."


1 comment:

  1. I felt a similar disappointment with the unedited Natalie Portman Digital Short 0rap video. Actually hearing the words was not as funny as not hearing them.

    ReplyDelete