Monday, June 27, 2011

It Looks Like a Silver Record, but it's not a Silver Record


"It's a Laser Disc! There's a movie on there!"

Hello again folks. As you may have guessed, I am going to talk a bit about Laser Discs. I have been the proud owner of a Laser Disc player for a little over a month. It was a birthday present from our very own Sethifus. In much the same way that retro gaming is big these days, I have a special place in my heart for outdated video formats, and a Laser Disc player is something I had sought after for quite a few years. So armed with a stack of discs and a player, I was ready to take my journey. The general viewing experience with a Laser Disc is not unlike VHS. Though it is a disc based format, like DVD, the films lack a menu. This is especially strange because many Laser Disc had commentary tracks and the like. The picture quality is just a step above VHS; it's pretty clean, but nothing to write home about given the availability of both DVD and Blu-ray. The real downfall of Laser Disc is that the discs are huge and require flipping. I have to say, it does take you out of the viewing experience, and some films have multiple discs, which means flipping and switching discs to watch a single movie. All the same, I am glad to count the player and the movies amongst my fetishized possessions.

4 comments:

  1. Mine is supposed to, but sadly it is less than fully functional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit it but laser discs don't exist no more and very hard to find

    ReplyDelete